The Real Problem with Eckhart Tolle

by Dan on August 5, 2009

I credit the great Eckhart Tolle for opening my mind, heart, and body to what presence, peace and spirituality really feels like.

I credit Eckhart Tolle for showing me what the ego, pain body, and past really are.

I credit Eckhart Tolle for starting me on the path out of religion, guiding me to begin my journey towards peace, effortless success, and enlightenment.

However, I do not listen to or read him so much anymore.

Do I believe Tolle’s message is true?

I read Power of Now and A New Earth years ago, and the information fit three categories 1) Beliefs I agreed with, 2) Beliefs that sounded bizarre but I later agreed with, 3) Beliefs that still sound bizarre to me to this day, but which I’m open to reconsidering at a later date.

The problem is not with Tolle’s message, but with something both more subtle and problematic than simply giving wrong information as many self-help authors do.

Eckhart Tolle has an awesome presence that gets in the way of his own message.  It is a problem that Dr. Wayne Dyer, Esther Hicks (Abraham), Oprah, “The Secret,” and many other speakers/programs share.  When you listen to one of these people, you feel great.  You are both intellectually and emotionally pleased.  You get such a taste of what freedom can be like.  In fact, you feel that you are in freedom already, and that permanent fulfillment is just around the corner.

Then it goes away.

Why is this?

The answer is that all you got was a taste of freedom.  They didn’t actually bring you to the end, or even really tell you how to get there.

Your mind decides it needs more to chew on.  On to more CD’s and and books by the same author.  Sometimes the author  doesn’t have enough books, so you look for really obscure live YouTube videos and seminar recordings.  You keep that high going.  You’re dependent on constant access to these speakers in order to feel good, and to be assured that you’re making progress.  The problem is that you’re not making progress.  You’re being mainlined a sedative to make you feel everything is ok.  In truth, your ego is raging as strong as ever and your subconsious is in emotional turmoil.  You have limiting beliefs up the wazoo and continue the same sabotaging behaviors that have always limited your success in wealth, relationships, and fitness.

The more you listen to, the more you wonder why your life isn’t changing so much.  You hear testimonials, but they don’t match your experience.  On to the next product.  You truly love listening to these speakers, so there’s no reason to stop, right?

These speakers aren’t charlatans.  They are 100% genuine in their efforts to help you grow.  Their only fault is that they are way too easy to listen to without taking action.

When I say “action,” I don’t necessarily mean working hard at your business or going to the gym, though these actions can be important.  I’m talking about your  actual inner work  to become a clearer, more powerful person.  Wayne Dyer and Eckhart Tolle mention regular meditation constantly.  Why is it so easy to listen to hours of them talking without ever feeling the need to meditate yourself?  Oprah talks about amazing ways to benefit your life with few ever implemented by her audience.  You fall under the illusion that merely being in the presence of these enlightened, successful people will transform you to join their level.

I just went through “Secrets of Manifesting Your Destiny” with Dr. Wayne Dyer.  Loved it.  Ordered 2 more of his cd sets off ebay immediately.  Then it occured to me that the spiritual high I got from his book “Real Magic” a couple months ago had vanished not too long after reading it.  “Secrets of Manifesting Your Destiny” was a great listen, and reconnected me with where my mission is going, but the only real “take home” aspect was the meditation exercise given at the end, which was really cool, and I’m working on.  However, I’m betting that 99% of people who actually finish the whole course do not do the exercise for more than a week.

How do you avoid this problem?  Pick speakers that are uncomfortable to listen to if you’re not doing the work.

While I love Sedona Method, the variation given by the Release Technique really hits home on this level.  It is impossible to listen to Larry Crane in a recording without either doing the work, or feeling like an idiot for listening without doing the releasing exercises.  I have friends who can listen to Hale Dwoskin (Sedona Method) in their car comfortably, but have to press pause and wait til they get home if Larry Crane (RT) is talking to them.

EFT teachers are great as well, my favorite being Brad Yates.  This is because it’s impossible to listen without doing the tapping at the same time.  I’m not doing EFT anymore, but the system is still valid.

For the record, I still pick up “Power of Now” here and there and still enjoy it.  It’s a different relationship now, however.  When I read parts of the “Power of Now” that I didn’t understand before, I nod because I’ve experienced them myself through other means.

To make something clear, this article is more directed to people already on their spiritual journey.  If you’re new to all of this, I truly believe Eckhart Tolle and Wayne Dyer are a superb start.  Just don’t get caught up in the fuzzy goodness.

Onwards!

–Dan

{ 89 comments… read them below or add one }

1 polle van gijzel September 17, 2009 at 2:13 pm

Hi Dan,

It`s really nice to read about your experiences, because I“ve been obsessed by books like that too. Luckily I didn`t have internet when I red Eckharts book. But I must have red it 150 times or more. LAter, I discovered the real discomfort of my life. Now I know, that some ego problems must be solved first on the ego-part of your conscience. Because you need a certain basis before you can let your ego go.
So these kind of books are good, but you must be careful with it. It`s not for nothing that all these kind of Guru`s like eckhart tolle, dr. wayne dyer, neale donald walsch and so on, have passed their 40th anniversairy. You need some ego experience and solutions too, before you can go on to the next stage. And therefore, reading these kind of books , are a good preparation for your next stage. The truth for you is different than for me, we all have to find our own way to go beyond the ego, and stuff like that. I think it`s good that not all this is told by guys like eckhart tolle. Like that there still is the challenge to find your inner truth, which can not be told completely by other people. They can help you, but it`s your journey. And finally, to let go that it`s your yourney, must be the highest part of it. Good luck with your yourney, nice to share my thoughts with you….
greets,polle

2 Henry January 4, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Great points and it is nice to hear you just share your experience without judgement. Waking up is a tricky thing, just like not waking up is.

3 Gaurav April 8, 2010 at 12:36 am

I am not enlightened, I have read books but never practiced anything for a long time. The one thing i know is …my prayers are answered which makes me believe in god. I am confused, highly confused between J krishnamurti and devotion to god called bhakti. But whenever I am sick i dont turn to j krishnamurti or Eckhart toll, I turn to God and he saves me. But then again when i am ok with life i pick up J krishnamurti again…
Lets see how it goes…I think I just need to relax now..

4 Erik June 14, 2010 at 11:08 pm

Hi,
Good points. I was the exact same way but I didn’t realize this until I had overcome it already. And enjoy the books/audiobooks while you can, because they aren’t nearly as enjoyable when you get to the point where you already know everything at a deep level. I cannot stand to hear Eckhart speak anymore(although I used to love it) because it is so obvious to me what he is saying. I still like Wayne Dyer and Eckhart though, they just aren’t anything I need or want anymore. I will listen to Wayne Dyer because I like to get some inspiration other than from “the source” from time to time. My recommendation is do what Eckhart says to do, sit very still and put your attention in your body. Just keep your attention away from your mind whenever you can. Write it down somewhere so you remember to do it. And over time the transformation will happen.

5 Erik June 15, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Hi Dan,
It is me again, I realized the secret over night. Sit still put your attention on every part of your body, outside and inside. Feel as much of it as you can, and watch your thoughts. But when watching your thoughts, do not pay attention to the “words,” pay attention to the “silence/space in between the words.” And sense the underlying feild of stillness/silence beyond it all. That is how you deepen it, you can’t deepen the amount of silence/peace that you have if you keep focusing on thoughts/words in your mind, you see what I am saying. If you focus on your “thoughts” and not the “space” and you are trying to experience greater peace it is like running around in circles trying to get somewhere, it is meaningless. It is a very simple technique, you just have to practice it until you master it. I would write down in detail what you did if you get results so that you remember what you did because going from “thought/noise” to “bliss/peace/no thought” you can forget what you did when you start “thinking” again the next time you try doing it. For example, you might sit there and put your attention in your body but not pay attention to the “space” in between your thoughts(which is the most important thing to do.)

Good luck, I hope you find what you are looking for.

6 gumbo July 15, 2010 at 12:27 am

Hey Dan,
I think your post is great. Just wondering where you are now in your life, do u feel the same way?

7 sathya July 27, 2010 at 5:33 am

hey dan and guys,
good to hear of your experiences of learning you got from Dyer and Tolle. May be we are too judgmental. Given the current busy world – the messages of these men offer soothing to troubled souls. For want of practicality let us not give away their teachings. Among the self-help literature – talks of Tony Robbins, Brain Tracy, Zig Ziglar and others – I think these two men are the one who give the depth to life. I find Dr.Covey somewhere in between the two. Its the message I am more concerned about than the messenger. I have just started Tolle and read and watched through many of Dyer’s teachings.

8 Jay August 12, 2010 at 3:24 pm

I don’t think there is necessarily a “problem” with any of these authors/teachers. They can only take you so far. They can give you a box of puzzle pieces, if you will. You can sort them; use the pieces you feel are relevant for you. But ultimately, you will have to get to the place THEY have claimed they’ve gotten to on your own. It will be your own practice, adaptation etc., of these teachings that will eventually lead you to your own enlightened place. To each mind, their own path. Sometimes his angry tone turns me off, but I think Krishnamurti was on the right track. Again, he never professed that he would “get you there”, but he suggested some wonderful tools to work from and then throw away.
Peace

9 Carmelina S. October 8, 2010 at 3:34 pm

There is a tendency to say a major change in thinking, behavior, lifestyle, etc. is due to a book read or a lecture, or an aha moment, etc… But I have observed in myself and others that at that particular time in life, you were ready; and ANYTHING would have worked because you were open to “receive”. IMO

10 Sal October 25, 2010 at 11:50 am

I agree with you somewhat that eckhart tolle has a certain quality about him that when you listen, you do feel free for that moment. Why is this a negative? Isn’t this the entire point? To be freed IN THE CURRENT MOMENT. That’s it. The fact that you even claim it made you feel high like a drug should attest to how powerful and true the words are and enlightenment is.

11 clara November 12, 2010 at 10:40 pm

I read your comment. Sounds like you are deep in the search. Variety is good…of course…But here is another websites. Adam Dickey http://www.christianscience.org/GodsLaw.htm
and the modern day…

12 Abhishek March 25, 2011 at 4:42 am

I believe that all these enlightened peoples though they seemed to be operating in peaceful and blissful way cannot be trusted and cannot transmit what has caused change in their life. The are using knowledge system and language that we have today to fit and express something unknown but that is not going to help.

13 theodore rhoades April 28, 2011 at 9:31 pm

What you expressed within your writing is not only powerful, but something to be cautious of. I love these teachers of well being, and it’s true that a majority of people do get into this state of “awe” or bewilderment by these thoughts these people share to the world. We get thrown off these thoughts without ever taking action, and action is what leads to success. Life, and the mind lol… man its so very deep its incredible to think about. It seems most people live by what we are told, go to school, go to work, do this do that, not really taking in LIFE. I could go on, but you have also shared new content and people I would like to research. Thank you!

All the very best,

Theodore Rhoades

14 bernd June 7, 2011 at 1:00 pm

acutally you gotta love your your ego, which means that you are healed from all of you negative beliefs ABOUT YOURSELF in your subconsciousness … the EGO isnt the problem at all, it is just the unauthentic form of the ego. If you are able to express yourself fully, which means that there is no emotional disturbance in your subconsciousness ( of which you´ll never be aware of) then you feel incredibly free and compassionate.

so many spiritual teachers didn´t understand this. They blame the ego as the source of suffering, they blame thoughts as the cause of suffering, but actually it is the other way around. First comes the feeling, then the thought. Feelings create thoughts!

your subconsciousness feels, your mind thinks. For example if you believe about yourself that you are ” unlovable” then this belief isnt a thought. It is a feeling! It is a feeling that knows, that it is unlovable.. something like another self, a subself.

But this belief is the cause of hundreds and thousands of negative thoughts. If you believe that belief deep down ( and you´ll never know about it, thats why the gurus dont know about their own ones) then everything you think is disstorted by this belief. Then you blame others, you hurt others etc etc. to cope with that feeling of being unlovable.. but the real cause of suffering isnt a thought, or the ego… it is the hurt ego and traumized ego. A ” real” ego that isnt traumatized does not suffers.. it just experiences.

a fully expressed and authentic ego doesnt want to transcent itself and it doesnt want to go somewhere else .. in the nondual world or however you call it because a real ego realises, that there is total freedom and love achievable while being in the human body!

15 xavier June 14, 2011 at 2:33 am

dan, this is an extremely insightful point. i fully empathize with wheer you are coming from as i can see how it could happen to myself. we must reach a point where we no longer require constant spiritual ‘feeding’, but are able to recognize the power within our own self, in our own authentic and unique way.

16 Elliott September 22, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Eckhart’s teachings are so simple. The most valuable thing I learned from him was to start paying regular attention to my breath, that this alone will give me more transformation than any courses I could take, and he was right… Just remember that the journey is never over, and taking action is up to you…no teacher can ever make you do the work or do the work for you! That part is up to you, warrior!

17 Scott November 17, 2011 at 5:44 am

Amazing insight indeed. I’ve been a devotee of Tolle for years and often wondered why the peace he espoused seemed to be so elusive until now. Thank you for exerting more mental energy toward answering this question and communicating it with such clarity and humility.

18 Wilhelm November 25, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Just a reminder. Eckhart Tolle has repeatedly emphasized that all he can do is point the way, the rest is up to us. There simply aren’t any shortcuts to spiritual freedom or growth. I wish you well on your unique path.

19 DC December 8, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Hey man, I can’t agree more with your post. Ever since I got into personal development hardcore circa 2008, I started reading Eckhart Tolle, Wayne Dyer, The Secret, etc.

These resources are great for giving you a SIGN POST in the right direction, but what really changed my life was reading “Spiritual Enlightenment” by Jed Mckenna — which nuked my belief systems. I believe that the true spiritual path begins with demolition — unlearning as opposed to learning.

Later on, I realized that it is in moments of action and frustration, that I learned the most. I take my life head on, but I also meditate about half an hour a day to relax. Life is now, and I enjoy it as much as I can.

20 ant January 26, 2012 at 4:32 am

I think the problem with Dan, and many of the others who have commented (and also myself), is we are making spritual enlightenment in to a future goal (whether we realise it or not), and this of course is a goal of the ego. Many of the comments contain the word ‘action,’ as though we need to take some action before we are at peace. The truth is, the only action we need to take, is the one we are already taking right now.So we do not actually have to ‘do’ anything.

I have read both of Tolle’s books 4 times each. I thought of investing in a spirituality library, but I have realised it is just a waste of time. All I will be doing is adding new concepts. Tolle’s books contains everything you will ever need, there is no need to read the works of other authors’ on the subject. I could read Tolle’s books 20 more times each, and read 5 other authors’ books 20 times each, but it is not going to make me enlightened. The only path to enlightenment is NOW. The best quote from Tolle, for me, has to be ‘One With Life’. That quote pretty much sums up everything, and if fully understood, is all you will ever need.

21 Tess Brady March 6, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I want to thank Dyer and Tolle, particularlly, for opening my eyes to a whole new way of being.
Other spiritual guru’s have come and gone in my life’s spiritual journey, but these two beautiful people have put it all together
May God bless them always.

22 Richard March 15, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Hi Dan and everyone,

In late January of this year, Wayne Dyer and Anita Moorjani pre-launched their books, “Wishes Fulfilled” and “Dying To Be Me” at the Sydney Convention & Exhibition Centre. My wife and I were fortunate to be in the audience of over 2,000 people to hear both speak and it’s a night that I’ll never forget. It was the first time that I had heard Dr. Dyer speak in person, and he was an incredible speaker. The highlight of the evening though, was the 20 minutes during which Anita described her NDE and her spontaneous full recovery from end-stage lymphoma following her NDE – and how this occurred from a spiritual level.

I have read the other books mentioned in this thread and I agree with the comments and observations. For me, Anita’s story is the missing link that I was looking for, and perhaps it will answer some of your questions too. Before I list some related links, I should probably begin with the disclaimer that, “I do not work for Hay House, nor do I have any personal connection to anyone who does (or has).”

Anita’s book was pre-launched to the audience at the Sydney event that night, and was officially launched in the States on 1 March.

[EDITED: Promotional material and links removed.]

I briefly spoke with Anita at her book signing table that night. I have a very finely tuned “BS meter” and it didn’t register anything. She appears to be as genuine in person, as she is in her video interviews. I have also been observing the reaction on the Web to her speaking events around the world, and to various blogs about her experience, and I have yet to see anything to disprove her story. I feel that she’s the real deal.

Cheers,

Richard
Sydney, Australia

23 marnie March 21, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Hey Dan,

I think you should stop reading/listening to any other articles/literature as it will start to get confusing and overwhelming.

Be still, as Erik says and listen to the energy within your body. It could be felt in a hand or leg – wherever just be still with it and let it subside to nothing.

Take care,

Marnie UK

24 Andreas July 2, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Hi Dan, the cure for what you describe is cheapness ( being frugal) and using my own self guidance, and my limited attention span. I think I have maybe 2 or 3 Deepak Chopra books, 2 of which I liked, one or two of the Elkhart tolle books, neither of which I read all of. Oprah brings out the best in eckhardt,btw. I found Esther and the Abrahams on youTube doing a google search on law of attraction after reading a book by a young millionaire dissing the law of attraction which he had tried (same complaint you had) – not enough action and knew from that sentence how he had become rich. You can see all of these people free, on YouTube, public tv, no need to purchase anything. Meditate if you want. I tend to listen to them ( cant stand to watch – they’re all too human) while playing angry birds or scrabble on my iPad. A great way to meditate. When i cant stand to listen to anymore talking i meditate quietly in the back yard and just watch the trees and listen to birds. Yes life has improved for me in many ways. I take from each teacher the words and concepts that work for me and leave the rest. When something doesn’t ring true I stop listening to it and listen to my favorites. Why wrestle with stuff that sounds off? Alan watts is still my favorite, and even he has certain passages I dont like and others I play almost daily. I too am “amazed to discover myself on this rock ball, rotating around a spherical fire! It’s a very odd situation”-Alan watts

25 Laurel July 7, 2012 at 8:52 am

Every spiritual high is followed by an equally intense spiritual low. While listening to Eckhart, Adyashanti, and Mooji in particular, I’ve experienced the silent, self-less realm of pure awareness.. a very liberating and deeply blissful state. The universe is a fascinating, slow-moving field of molecular energy that is always here; this state is always available to us. And in those deeply peaceful moments, it seems impossible that I will ever venture back into ego-land. But then I do. The alarm goes off and it’s time for work. Or my sister calls, or my son throws a temper tantrum. And my egoic reactions are more painful then they were before, because I know that the deeply blissful realm is always available to me (to all of us), but I can’t seem to get there. All we can do is try and remember. For now, I’ve taken a break from spiritual teachings, and instead I watch shows or read articles about space or quantum physics, so I can be reminded in a more subtle and less druggy way that were are living in an incredible place, in an incredible time, and we’re an amazing species! I love the quote above from Alan Watts. This really is quite a ride. :) Peace, Laurel

26 Scott September 12, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Wow, how absurd. Nobody gets hit with a lightning bolt and stays enlightened. There is work like prayer, meditation, and selfless acts that are required to maintain it. Even Tolle says that some of his awakening lost it’s initial strength. You seem to be disturbed by the fact that it wasn’t a permanent white light experience for you, which is wishful thinking to say the least. Tolle is a true spiritual leader. In it’s essence, I am hard put to contradict anything I have read from him.

27 tinglysning blanketter December 5, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Do you mind if I quote a few of your articles as long as
I provide credit and sources back to your
site? My blog is in the exact same niche as yours and my visitors would truly benefit from a lot of the information you present here.
Please let me know if this ok with you. Cheers!

28 Dan December 5, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Hey, that should be fine. Just always use a hyperlink back to the original article so people can find the original source and I’ll have no problem with that. Feel free to leave a link to your blog here so we can all check it out! :-)

–Dan

29 deb December 24, 2012 at 11:03 am

Thanks for your thoughtful post.

Along with Wayne Dyer, I try to place my finger on what it is that bothers me (in a spiritual sense) about the both of them.

Here is what I THINK at this point in time (God Forbid) I am thinking but to me that means in this particular case and context to provide a better understanding is that when I say think I mean, contemplate, feel, and consider, why? Because I am a living life hopefully to the fullest and I have the constant and eerie feeling that we only have so long to experience this life, and to me it is critical to find out certain things to have not lived it in vain.

I think that may be common to all of us.
Also this feeling of “getting something DONE” or doing something, reaching somewhere.

But I digress, OK, to the best of my current ability here is what I think bothers me about E.T. at this point, it is that yes, he has discovered certain eternal truths, he tends to beat that same horse, about the present being all that there is and the peace that can be found in it,
but at the same time, once he did become enlightened, note after a life prior to that was a nightmare and miserable (in the world) without knowing this.
what did he return to?

He didn’t.

He didn’t have to return to anything, because he was able then to make a LIVLIHOOD out of his experience in bliss and the present moment.

He was able to run with that and I believe THAT is what KEEPS him satisfied since.

Same with Wayne Dyer.

I think the other thing that bothers me is that in today’s world, when you are fortunate enough to find eternal truths, and with so much suffering around us, that one feels the need to DO something . to share to alleviate suffering and maybe also do these two gentlemen BUT I believe part of what they miss is that they both got to take those truths once found, and maintain a financial independence that for many other people largely gets in the way of their living their own lives to the fullest,
as there is this temptation in this current world we all live in , to “sell out” our beliefs, from the very core.

Instead by having faith, God does provide.

I learned that God is the source of all supply but not man.

I also learned that it is quite unfortunate to me , that what I found when I searched was all that matters is how you treat others, that you recognize that all are one, to hurt another is to hurt SELF, so you just would not.

Nor would you argue. ( I see many people have referenced Krishnamurti ) here, and I believe that Khrishnmurti does NOT possess the ELEMENT that both E.T. and W.D. possess that BOTHERS ME

i THINK that this thing that bothers me is the American Society and that these particular men, having found what they have found, to me should be MORE RESPONSIBLE in more ways than they are, and it becomes kind of CHEAP and ingenuine or beneath them and it APPEARS AT LEAST TO ME that there is a fork in the road for them having aquired fame and fortune by finding enlightment creates some type of a challenge for them to overcome
a fork in the road for them

As Jesus said it is hard for a rich man to get to heaven.

I have to admit I used to also love Wayne Dyer, and I also can admit that I knew and understood every single thing both W.D and E.T. said before they said it, from my own studies in all the books I could read (hindu/buddhist/zen/Christian/Islam) and I also EXPERIENCED THE TRUTHS directly from God

I loved Wayne Dyer at first,
but then and now I have just been so irritated for I feel that it is a continual process
and once you find that place you are STILL GROWING, and that means they are both still growing and I often have to wonder what in their growing would entail them becoming these “gurus” to America
and if so,

why on God’s earth would W.D. make the comment to those people fortunate enough to be able to afford to pay $100 to see him and to purchase his books.

why would he tell them while he has their rapt attention, “me being poor won’t help someone else be any less poor” he gives the enabling speech as excuse not to help others,
to me, he should have and should do just the opposite and EXPLAIN to HIS AUDIENCE, who allows him to live as a millionaire
he should explain to them that in eternal truth, all that matters here is how you TREAT OTHERS, and that there are many people suffering and if they are fortunate enough to pay $100 to see him, maybe they should take that $100 and give it to someone in need ..

promotion of self.

I think largely W.D. ego has taken back over
I also think that if W.D. went w/o his millionaire lifestyle it would to me mean a whole lot more than it does
I don’t get much out of a guy living in Hawaii whom is constantly bragging about his wealth & fame
telling me how to be at peace when those who suffer, and do not have their basic needs met are growing in numbers in our country.
and the U.S. as wealthy as it is, should be a lot healthier,

I dont’ mean to sound ungrateful but there continues to be something that bothers me about the both of them
E.T. not as much, just that his message is the same over and over and also he in my opniion presumes to know too much to be too certain of too much for too many other people

to me, when they ask him questions, I know the answer to every question they ask him

and I can tell you what troubles ME, which is , when you do find the eternal truths, it is not in practicing it the trouble, it is in practicing it in a place where NO ONE ELSE DOES.

the buddhists call it “right livlihood”
but in these 2 men when they found it , they were rewarded materialistically and then they were allowed to stay there by virtue of sharing the truths they found with others.
then to spend their days reading and all their needs met

this do me is a conflict of interest
esp in the case of W.D.

flaunting his riches made from selling this to people that are obvious in need of truth, from people that suffer

I think that monies made by same should not just be spent upon lavish lifestyles and it ends up being an insult to the ETERNAL Truths they are relaying, yet the one that is injured is them , but
i also think that it does end up injuring so many others, and it is a ripple effect and I also fear that one day they will realize this and it will be too late to do much about it.

for the unconsciousness is capable of and all the while we are human will continue to be,
I belive that W.D. has been asleep at the wheel a long time and that E.T. is in danger of going to sleep
going to sleep doing what they are doing and the chance of them catching themselves is less because they are doing so

it is a unique way to hell directly for those involved, no more, no less, that we are all vulnerable to
and that is the problem that I am discussing it is the WORLD that we live in that is so contrare to truth. at what point does the realty we all live in
have to change before we can
feel good about anything?

Til then the spiritual truths I know cover me and protect me so that no matter what is going on externally does not affect me.
as it does not matter what happens to you but how you handle it

but I could teach that all the live long day to how many people and if commercially it were to be successful at what point am I exploiting them?
and at what point am I endangering myself?

find your purpose is next?
their purpose is simple

how about if they had to return to their lives after finding these truths and fight the same material battles everyone else does,
suffering injustices in a country that has been so very corrupted

then what?

30 deb December 24, 2012 at 11:17 am

I do think that we think too much and that we cause ourselves all types of unnecessary suffering
but I also think that knowing this, we can control more and conserve a lot of energy
see Stoics and see Ouspensky for this.

I just think a TRUE SCHOOL of truth cannot be really executed properly when geared to be aimed at the mass herd ..I think that when this happens there are sacrifices that get made when one endeavors to do so and to continue to do so, that they may or may not be following the Spirit, or they may be following something else, for the motivation changes.

Some of which , is not that we think too much, is more about WHAT we think and HOW we think than it is that we should not be thinking.

and much of that has to do with either a) so much struggles in this world b) so much conflicts w/ Spiritual truths in this country (u.s.), and c) if you can manage to have a livlihood that does not compromise your principles and have any energy left over , and can tolerate going out and interacting with PEOPLE THAT DO NOT KNOW THESE TRUTHS NOR CONDUCT THEMSELVES BY THEM, this is wherein the difficulty lies,
that I love the stoics for
and Marcus Aurelius who for example words of wisdom was written TO HIMSELF, not to people so that they could help themselves and sign up to become a member where they send me $14.95 per month or a sliding scale of what they can afford. to pay me to hear these truths.

Somehow that changes it, Now if we were living ALREADY in a Utopian society maybe it would not be the case.
but we are far from it
and these men are profiting from wisdom that people are thirsty for and in the end , it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth and you begin to wonder how far on their path can they go like this?
or that they may fall OFF the path, for hours and hours of E.T. answering questions, that there is so much great information there, BUT the bottom line is PEOPLE NEED TO HAVE THESE CONVERSATIONS WITH THEMSELVES to find the truth.

I find myself wanting to change the world, wanting to help others too, and then I find myself saying if everyone read a book I wrote, I could be on best seller, I am thinking heck if these people do not know these things, then what could I do?

But honestly, what would that be doing if I did?
wouldn’t it be my Ego lusting after a desired outcome?
even if that desired outcome is to change the world for the better
and wouldn’t I already know that people must be willing to open their minds
as well as what I might say to anyone is only ONE SMALL PIECE among many pieces that each person that is so desirous will put together in order to find truth

I do believe though that when we do find the eternal truth, we will all agree on what it is
and I also believe that if and when that happens, our society will be transformed because so much of what people spend their time doing now , they would stop.

All is ONE, the one law of all is LOVE
that is all we have to do, is to LOVE and if we could do that
we would not need any of the other so many laws on the books, instead we are getting MORE LAWS every day
because we cannot get along together with one another

in Truth, if you hurt someone you hurt yourSelf
once you know this
you don’t do it

once you know this , you cannot BE hurt either
by others.

you realize the truth of it all

Jesus Christ told us everything we needed to know to survive these times, to save ourselves and to transform the world.

It is unfortunate that the “church” that has alleged to represent him did not ACT as such and it is more unfortunate that people nowadays use the bad behavior of some organized religion (largely Christians) as the other organized religions do not seem to be such culprits of not practicing the very thing they claim to be, but it is very unfortunate that many people toss out Christiaity becuase of the lame organized religion but they also seem to toss out the teachings of Jesus Christ himself.

The excuse not to follow Jesus teachings is that organized Christians have been NOT.
Wouldn’t that be a reason TO follow him , not not too?

the Mind is a Terrible thing, CAN be a terrible thing

it is TRUE there is WAY TOO MUCH JUNK in our world, too much noise, much of which are people’s thoughts

not that we think too much but that we think too much about things that are UNNECESSARY TO THINK ABOUT,
we need to use filters.
self created filters

as Socrates said “Know Thyself”
and our society surrounds us wiih more junk and EXPLOITS our minds
for PROFIT
material profit

I believe that the root of all evil is MONEY
and our capitalistic system
has created so much suffering , that we are seeing the results of it.

and to be totally HONEST, we should be able to tell our children the TRUTH about Christopher Columbus and the Native Americans but to this day they LIE, tax paying citizens and public schools that begin to lie to children
about the history of this country and how it was formed

who “claimed” to be Christians and wasn’t anything Christian about them

so yes we need to derail organized religion and call them out on the carpet for their mistakes and conflicts but reason we need to is not to diss altogether but to SPEAK FOR THE TRUTH and for Jesus Christ ‘s true teachings of which if Man today applied could save himself and the world.

31 sally January 1, 2013 at 10:00 pm

The fuzzy goodness is your own created thing, there is no problem with Eckhart, many people get caught up in the high of spiritual teaching but change is a day-to-day commitment that only expresses itself through you when you are open to it. When you catch yourself getting anxious/frustrated/hurt etc. It doesn’t always feel good and facing the truth of the moment is sometimes extremely painful, that is where the real shift takes place.

32 Andrew Crane January 19, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Thanks for this article. It is always comforting to know that others are seemingly at a similar place to our own. It is nice to be reminded that anything can become a crutch. I think we would all agree it is a human tendency to want to stay with something (a feeling) that is pleasurable and attempt to recapture it. It is nice to be reminded in a gently way that we are susceptible to this behavior and equally nice to be nudged along. Ultimately that is what all the spiritual teachers do for us as well. Remind us and nudge us along. As far as nudging goes. I too was a big reader of Ekhart Tolle and Krishnamurti and many other Buddhist like teachers. Surya Das, Chogam Trungpa etc. Now I sit with others. Some may call it Vipassana but I don’t label it I just do it. It is quite an experience to put down the book(s) for the first time and sit on your own cushion alone. I wish everyone out there happiness whether they ever try it or not. If not, I wish you an endless supply of teachers and books and newfound angles that continue to make the world seem new.

Namaste

33 Casey March 3, 2013 at 8:48 pm

So perfect. This entry came up in my attempt to google “books similar to the power of now”. The universe provides :)

Namaste!

34 Albi March 12, 2013 at 3:47 pm

I don’t know much about all of this but what I have found was that we must do all the “work” our selves. What these fine and gifted speakers are doing is giving us inspiration to reach beyond normal thought, to keep praying is meditation in some form. The real problem is the average person actually and without realizing it is that they are “worshiping” these ordinary men and women. I found something that has produced in me everything that it says it will. All it is, is a new paradigm from which they look at the world and the things in it.

There is someone on FB right now who is talking about this other mysterious person and this link will take you there,,,

{link edited out}

I found his other websites very interesting but one in particular is where he says that we must redefine our selves to the point of dropping the old definition of what a human being is and take a read at this new definition. It is quite remarkable and mind blowing at first but after a short read, many things begin to make some sense.

GO here {link edited out}

This guy is nowhere recognized as these other fine gurus and goblins and I have no idea why it is this way.

35 john little April 10, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I was sad to find out Tolle hasnt donated a dime to carity.
Could a man like Tolle possibly care about being a multi millionaire? The truth hurts. My CD’ are headed for the trash.
If I ever run into Ekhart im gonna show him some serious
“pain body”

36 Dan April 10, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Hey John,

What makes you think Tolle hasn’t donated to charity? If you just read it on a forum somewhere, I would not believe it so easily.

–Dan

37 I AM April 16, 2013 at 8:44 am

One thing all these gurus have in common: “products.” Lots and lots of them. A never ending array of them.

(and multi-million dollar estates in Paradise)

Mediate on that…….

38 I AM April 17, 2013 at 4:14 am

Is this article an affiliate advert for RT? Just taking a guess here ;)

39 I AM April 20, 2013 at 4:44 am

Yes, it must indeed be the case that this is an RT affiliate advertizement disguised as a thoughtful blog post. Otherwise my other comments would have been acknowledged by now, and Albi’s comment (#34) would not have had the links removed. Knowing this post is just an advert negates any legitimacy. Surely I’m not he only one who will have noticed this…. :)

40 Dan April 20, 2013 at 11:12 am

Hey “I AM,”

To answer your question, no this isn’t an affiliate advertisement disguised as a thoughtful blog post. If you look at the dates of the most recent posts, you’ll see that this blog is not updated very frequently, so it can take a few days (occasionally weeks) for comments to show up.

But you bring up an interesting point. What if this IS a shameless plug for another product. Would the thoughts be meaningless?

And come to think of it, if this was a genuine SINCERE post, would that make the thoughts necessarily worth following?

As I talked about in How You Get Sold at Seminars: A Look at James Arthur Ray, it makes sense to go where the value is, sometimes regardless of the intent (though you may be more cautious depending on the motivation).

Dove just released a viral video at http://www.dove.com/realbeautysketches. It’s a beautifully done advertisement and it’s also making women feel a lot better about themselves… and even could provide some thought on how we see ourselves.

Bottom line, don’t assume an ulterior motive if your comment doesn’t get posted right away.

Thanks for posting.

–Dan

41 I AM April 21, 2013 at 6:34 am

Yeah, because that feel-good video is going to have no effect on Dove sales whatsoever ;) Just like Wayne Dyer’s PBS appearances weren’t free publicity. All of this “abundance” focus of the New Thought Movement is just greed glorified and wrapped up in “spiritual” packaging. And it’s easily sell-able to the instant-gratification “Western” mind.

Surely ALL (no exclusions) of these gurus realize that their “abundance” doesn’t just fall from the sky. Real people have to do the ACTUAL “manifesting” of all their stuff. You know… people who work long hours for unlivable wages. Yes, that’s right: the entire world can’t just sit on their butt on a tropical Island somewhere, “manifesting” stuff. Hawaii isn’t that big. Someone has to do the actual work. Produce the actual value.

Since when is having “abundance” the measure of spirituality? All of this nonsense glorifies “wealth,” and what’s worse, gives license for a complete deficit of empathy. Why care for anyone when they “created” their reality, right? Hogwash.

42 gwenola May 20, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Great and true words!

43 Postage Notes June 18, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Anyone is free to be at one with their true self. No books, no gurus, and no costs required. To begin to understand that life on a beach in Maui can’t make one any happier than he already is, in his present situation, is perhaps a good place to start.

Breathe. Smile. Let the stuff that is just be.

44 Dan June 18, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Postage,

I tend to hear that one a lot and while it can sound nice, it flies in the face of reason.

The problem is that most people can’t just “decide” to feel peace and be in total oneness. You can say “they’re just not trying hard enough” but the fact remains that they’ve been unable to do it by themselves, and books and gurus have helped.

And the people I know who say “I don’t need anything, I’m content as is” are generally putting up a facade of happiness, in my experience.

The people who actually do have a fair amount of inner peace, including the buddhas and gurus say “Use whatever is helping you.”

45 Dan June 18, 2013 at 9:29 pm

I AM,

While it’s perfectly fine to live without wealth if you choose to, I would say that if you can’t live in financial abundance, you haven’t mastered your reality. I guess it all depends on whether your definition of the “final goal” is mastering your reality or accepting and rolling with it.

46 Kirsten June 19, 2013 at 11:23 am

I hope you are meditating… real deep breathing, chakra visualization meditation has changed my life, and I just started a while ago after re-reading the Hindu great book The Bhagavad Gita, which actually explains HOW to meditate. It’s so simple. The less you WORK at it, the better the results. In other words, just breathe and and say Ohmm inside your head and don’t try to have a mystical experience. At any rate, I also was into the guru Sri Sri Ravi Shenkar (not really much, just like Tolle, I liked to watch his YouTube videos and read a couple books about him…I don’t follow anyone, but read all the same stuff everyone here has mentioned)… and I’m just now reading Tolle and am realizing that he is very much espousing basics of Hinduism, which oddy (a girl of a mainstream Protestant Christian background) am getting very interested in – especially the meditation part of that spiritual tradition. I am finding that everything Tolle expresses is very much a part of the Hindi tradition – the BEING part of god, that god is everywhere, we are god, god is us, all is god, that there is no duality (good, bad, other) and that once we tune into that through meditation, we begin to live in the light/peace/now… all things slip away. Anyway, thanks for your great blog, discussion here! I wish all of you were my friends! What great people! – Kirsten

47 Kiki June 21, 2013 at 1:34 am

Dear Dan…

Thank you for sharing this with me, with us! Twice you mentioned success in wealth, relationships, and fitness and then shortly thereafter mentioned success again in business and ‘working out’. I will guess, safely I feel, that financial prosperity and an external physicality that you deem appealing, are two significant components of your overall well being! Of course, financial stability is something many individuals on this planet do not have, sadly, and with the economy being what it is, especially here in the U.S., many choose to consume fast food and therefore, struggle with obesity, diabetes, heart conditions, etc. The list, unfortunately, is incredibly long! Anyway, I am rambling and, I apologize for that!

First off, I have completed the Sedona Method, taught by the man who initially created the program, having taught Hale the teachings, Mr. Lester Levenson. Following the Method, I was introduced to Eckhart Tolle, Jerry and Esther Hicks (Abraham) and Deepak Chopra. ALL of these individuals have a brilliance about them and provide a series of “stepping stones”, if you will, to assist you on you OWN path of Self-Love and Self-Discovery (or, Self re-discovery). You see, a teacher can only lay A foundation upon which YOU (or ME or WE), the student(s), must build!!! Each person, each student, is different in personality, different in their abilities, and so EACH must find, by seeking with their heart and their mind, the ‘way’ that best fits their ability to grasp, to learn, to understand and to manifest!

I LOVE my family. I would never kill, yet I would die for them. Those closest to me, my mother, my only sister, are born again Christian. They study the Bible every, single day. They live by its words. And yet, their way holds absolutely NO resonance with who I AM. I respect and honor the path they have chosen for themselves and for their lives but, I cannot choose their way for my Self. My sister feels that individuals like Eckhart Tolle, Abraham and Neale Donald Walsh are heretics. While that pains me, or perhaps it simply pains my ego, I must accept the fact that we all have different paths upon which we must travel and in my heart I know that all roads lead to the same destination!

Anyway, again, I am rambling! With regard to Eckhart, or any other teacher whose works you may read or hear, you must release any and all emotion. Do not go into a book or an audio session with any pre-conceived notion or idea, nor come out of [it] with any judgment. Everything, EVERY THING, EVERY ONE, has a message. You will receive that which you are meant to hear!!!

Some people are further along their spiritual path than others. You may read the same books, attend the same seminars, hear the same audios, but different messages will be heard. It makes not one better than the other. It is simply that, the Universe will give to us exactly what we are needing in any given moment. My sister is not in a space wherein her heart and mind are open to the idea that GOD IS ME, I AM GOD, WE ALL are GOD made manifest to experience Life in human form. To her, that is Satan speaking (Trust me, she has on many occasion stated this to me). So I need only to understand that I am here, and she is where she is, and both places are beautiful for each of us.

Listen to Eckhart, as I do, over and over again. Abraham, too. I have listened to each of them (same seminars time and again), and each time, I received a new message, one that was significant to the moment or situation in which I found my Self. [They] are simply acting as guides, giving us a basis on which we can reference. Eckhart speaks of being in the moment…of feeling the moment, really feeling it! Perfect example (of my own, not Eckhart’s)…

When walking on the beach, do not JUST walk, FEEL every grain of sand beneath your feet and between your toes. Feel the cool of the water lapping your ankles, watch the tide or the waves roll in and roll out and KNOW that that body of water has a Life of its own…fish, and shells and algae and whatever!!!! But it ALL is LIFE!!! And YOU, I, ME, WE, are ALL a part of that living, breathing, beautiful phenomenon called Life! And THAT, my friend, is miraculous beauty!!!

Now, you can meditate but, if you’re like me, meditation is simply a tool that is utilized by those who are trying to ‘attain’ a state of peace. Just, BE PEACE!!! I have tried meditating and what I have learned or realized is this….for the 20 to 30 minutes I have attempted to sit quietly (which is NEVER quiet due to inner “chatter”) I have missed 20 to 30 minutes of Life happening all around me!!! And I am a part of that Life so why in the he** would I want to remove my Self from Living fully, consciously and in complete awareness of Life??? So…I don’t!!! I am in it to WIN IT, sugar!!! And so should ALL OF US BE!!!

Only our ego has separated us form that which we TRULY ARE…and that is ONE…ONE with ALL of LIFE!!!

I would say that I hope that all I have written has made sense but, I have no concern whether it has or has not!!! I simply sat down and started typing!!! I will not edit nor will I re-read! I will simply go with the Supreme knowledge that all I have expressed here will be received, beautifully or otherwise!!!

Namaste, Divine Ones!!! <3

48 Dan June 24, 2013 at 12:30 am

Hey Kiki,

Thanks so much for the comment. You’ve given one of my favorite blog comments in a long time. I really don’t know where to respond because you cover so much. :-) I kind of just want to bask in it. It’s beautiful and authentic..

Thanks again,

–Dan

49 Nicholas Andrea July 29, 2013 at 3:42 pm

When did reading books, watching videos, or listening to teachers become a substitute for doing the real work? They are only fingers. I am the Moon.

I noticed your symbol is a beautiful yin-yang. From the Taoist point of view no realization is ‘real’ until is reaches your guts, where it can take root and grow as you. :)

50 Loz August 11, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Dan

Very interesting as I have just come to the same conclusion. I think there comes a time when you have heard or read enough to know what needs to be done or not done. It’s like we have enough tools given to us by these teachers and now we have to start the work. Khrisnamurti talks about dependency and how we need to identify it and eliminate it. We can become dependent on spiritual teachers and get a high which soon turns into dependency like a drug, a quick fix and we all know what happens if we get quick fixes, the problems still exist. We need to let go of these people who we get a spiritual high on, a quick fix and do the dirty work. We are fortunate to have these teachers give us the tools we need but ultimately we are responsible for our own inner change and if we don’t let go of this dependency then we will not progress. It is like letting go of our mothers hand and walking alone. Or instead of having a quick fix spiritual high which masks what is really going on we need to dig deep and clear up all the deep rooted rubbish.